Loyal, affectionate, loving companions…these are just some of the many reasons dogs are considered man’s best friend. Dogs have always been popular pets in France. In fact, almost a quarter of the population claim to have one in their family. This means that there’s a myriad of French dog names out there; some are cute, some are traditional and some are just downright wacky. In this article, we’ll present the best French dog names for both female and male dogs, we’ll list the top ten most popular names and to round it off, we’ll give you a rundown of the most popular dog breeds in French.
- Dog names: The French way
- French female dog names
- French male dog names
- The best French dog names
- Dog breeds in French
Dog names: The French way
There is a tradition in France on how to choose a pet name. For pure breeds, a different letter of the alphabet is assigned each year, and this represents the first letter of the pet name. For example, in 2020 it was the letter R and in 2021, S. Many French people follow this tradition, whether they have a pure breed or not.
Less common letters are not included in this tradition and simply provide alternatives should you not want to use the letter of the given year. For example, the letters K, Q, W, X, Y, Z are not assigned a year.
French female dog names
Let’s get started with a list of female dog names – these include both the best French dog names, common names and some unique and unusual suggestions, such as nicknames. We’ve also added what each name means to help you make the right decision for your furry companion.
- Amélie – this lovely French female dog name means hardworking.
- Aimée – taken from the verb aimer (to love), this is the ideal name for your pet friend.
- Bijou – this means gem and is often used as an informal way to say darling/sweetheart.
- Béatrice – if you have a content little female dog, try this name – it means happy or fulfilled.
- Chloé – a traditional French name that means blooming or fertility.
- Charlotte – this beautiful French female dog name is ideal if you have a strong and free pet, which is what this name means.
- Coco – thanks to French fashion designer Coco Chanel, this name is timeless and elegant.
- Dominique – meaning “of the lord”.
- Éloise – if you’re looking for a strong female dog name, look no further. This name means famous warrior.
- Fleur – the French word for flower.
- Gigi – this cute French female dog name means earth-worker, so it’s perfect to use for one of nature’s best animals.
- Isabelle – another religious name meaning “pledged to God”.
- Madame – this French word is used to address women as “Mrs”, but it’s also a popular French dog nickname.
- Noëlle – this means day of birth and is inspired by the French word for Christmas, Noël.
- Océane – the French word for ocean.
- Paris – the capital of France. This is a more unusual suggestion for a female dog name.
- Renée – to be reborn.
- Violette – inspired by the flower violet, this female dog name in French is very cute.
French male dog names
Moving onto some French male dog names.
- Antoine – this famous traditional French name is popular amongst our furry friends. It means priceless – a perfect name for such a loyal pet.
- Beau – the French word for handsome, need we say more?!
- Biscuit – a very cute name for a very cute dog!
- Cezanne – this is a very worthy name inspired by the French painter Paul Cézanne.
- Claude – another classic that would work well as a French pet name.
- Damien – if you have a wild dog, this could be a great name – it means tame.
- Fidèle – what better way to call your dog than the French word for loyal.
- Gaston – yes, this is the name of the hunter in Beauty and the Beast but it is a popular dog name in France.
- Hugo – this name means mind or spirit.
- Jean – a very traditional French name but also a popular French dog name.
- Louis – a name fit for Kings! There were a total of 17 kings in France named Louis – it truly is a royal name for any dog.
- Martin – another strong name meaning warrior, inspired by the planet Mars.
- Oscar – this name appears regularly on lists of the best French dog names.
- Pierre – meaning rock or stone.
- René – reborn (the male version of Renée).
- Sebastien – another noble name meaning revered or admired.
- Théo – this short, simple name has much a grander meaning – God’s gift.
- Victor – winner, a winning way to finish off this list!
The best French dog names
According to the dog/pet sitting website pawshake.com, here are the top 10 dog names in France:
Dog breeds in French
Finally, to help you expand your animal vocabulary, we’ve created a list of the most common dog breeds in French.
|German shepherd||Le berger allemand|
|Golden retriever||Le golden retriever|
|Maltese||Le bichon maltais|
|Pomeranian||Le poméranian / le spitz nain|
Work like a dog
Phew, so there we have it! A great list of the best French dog names for female and male dogs. There are so many more options to choose from but we hope this has given you some inspiration and a starting point for naming your furry companion. Now, try out what you learned in your next French class!
Clara Avrillier is a writer, linguist and content manager living in the South of France. She loves getting out in nature, doing sport, reading and playing music. She also works with expats looking to move to France. Connect with her on LinkedIn.